Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Re: Why do we read books that make us sad?




I saw this question on bloggers-heart-books and I wanted to share the comment I made on it with all of you.

I read sad books to sort of remind me of the reality of things. There are thousands of books out there that are all fluff and happy endings. But life isn't always like that. What about that family who's mother died of cancer? What about that man who lost his wife in 9/11? What about that single mother who lost her son in a car wreck? Sure, we read books so we can enter a world other than the one we live in, but if we only read books with completely happy endings won't we forget about the realness of life? And anyway, you know the book was amazing if it made you cry :)

Oh, and "My Sister's Keeper" made me bawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment